Where do we go from here?
Ladies and gents, The forces of evil have us down, but not out. At least not yet. We have a lot of work to do. We need to get busy and do it. Here is what I think needs to be done:
- Obama does not have a filibuster proof majority in the Senate. This is a starting point. We need to ensure our remaining republican senators hear us loud and clear on issues such as immigration, defense, pork, energy, entitlements, and most importantly, taxes. Some of our remaining senators are pretty squishy. They need to be reminded what unemplyment REALLY means and who has the power to make them unemployed, because it won't take many of them squishing on us to give them the majority the Dims need.
- We need to select a true conservative for Senate Minority leader and we the voters need to back him or her to the hilt. I've heard Tom Coburn's name floated and I think he would be an excellent choice. There are probably others that would also do a good job who's names have not occurred to me yet.
- The Bush tax cuts expire in 2010, just in time for the 2010 congressional and senatorial elections. This needs to be a front and center issue. We need to take back control of congress, pocketbook issues are the way to do that.
- Republicans need a new "Contract with America". One that deals with economic issues in a sane, rational, logical way. One that works to reduce taxes and MORE IMPORTANTLY, government spending.
- That means entitlements must be dealt with. Social Security is running on fumes. Medicare's fuel light is flashing. Both of them are going to blow a gasket real soon. The exact date is subject to debate because of differeing definitions of bankruptcy. But irregardless of which definition you use, it is going to happen. It is inevitable if reforms are not implemented. We need to keep it fresh in everyone's mind who's programs these are and who has fought every attempt at reforming them.
- We must fight EVERY SINGLE ISSUE. Make the Democrats work for every single victory. We must be obstructionist on those issues that count. If we do not fight, we will most assuredly lose.